200+ packages up for grabs

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Apr 16 10:28:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:15:04PM +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> I think everyone who has more than few tens of packages packages under his
> belt should seriously consider finding someone else to take care of the extra
> ones and possibly use the time freed by that to get to know the remaining
> packages better unless it's taken by something else.

I think that it is wrong, the number of packages is a bad metric for the
work load and need to specialization. Speaking for myself, I have about
66 or so package that I maintain or for which I am a comaintainer doing
most of the work recently. However, among those packages 12 or so really
take time (some of these taking a huge amount, especially with
collaboration with upstream), among the others something like 10
packages with medium load (like 2 hours a year), and 44 with a low load
(along 1 hour in 3 years), most of them with inactive or dead upstream.

I don't count the time needed to have first a good package (something
like the first 6 months), and the time needed to do old EPEL branches,
which was an investment done only once.

Now I agree with the whole idea, it is better to spread the load, but a
better metric than the number of packages would be something like the
bugs not handled.

--
Pat