More Java guidelines questions

Phil Muldoon pmuldoon at redhat.com
Wed Apr 16 11:34:38 UTC 2008

Lubomir Kundrak wrote:

>> Or ugly solution -- wait two months ;-) Then all supported
>> Fedoras will have JDK.
>>
>> No, I am not serious.
>>

> Why not? Getting rid of legacy cruft sounds like an brilliantly elegant
> solution to me. But probably not applicable here, as GCJ doesn't really
> fall into that category, given it still outperforms OpenJDK by the
> factor of 10 on ppc.

There's a deeper issue. Projects like ours ours (Frysk)  used gcj and
related technology from the ground up. When Frysk was (and still is)
being developed we used a lot of the newer/faster/better implementations
of specific Java technologies that gcj brought with it, like CNI over JNI.

Now moving onto the brave new future things have changed. But that still
requires specific tasks to be completed before the move from gcj ->
IcedTea. The largest is converting CNI code to JNI code in projects that
choose to use CNI. It's happening, but it takes times.

Regards

Phil