Issues with mingw32 (Linux to Windows cross-compiler)

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Thu Apr 17 20:56:54 UTC 2008

AFAIK we don't have any magic to solve circular dependencies in any
wondrous way (i.e. that's magically delicious for total rebuilds and all).
I think we've just done kludges to bootstrap the first time.

e.g., you can do an initial koji build of a hack version of the package
that includes some binaries for bootstrapping.  Packaging existing binaries
is verboten in general, but you can do it just for the one build that gets
you the prerequisites into koji to do the proper build with a normal spec.
After the first normal build works and replaces the bootstrap hack build,
you're just in the usual circular position that we're in with gcc, glibc,
et al, that all need the others already installed to build the fresh ones.