JTE - Jigdo Template Export - Faster Jigdo template generation

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Apr 18 18:12:51 UTC 2008

I just discovered this work where they are getting vastly faster jigdo
template generation by combining that process with the mkisofs
process.  Essentially, a modified mkisofs/genisoimage writes out both
the .iso and the .template at the same time.

There are other tools as well, such as mkimage which is much faster at
reconstructing the original .iso when all the files are already
downloed (full local mirror), iso-image.pl which is a CGI script to
present a reconstructed .iso on-the-fly to HTTP clients without
requiring the .iso to be present on disk.

Here is some background info:

http://www.einval.com/~steve/talks/UKUUG-2005/jigdo.txt

and the software itself:

http://www.einval.com/~steve/software/JTE/

I'm mentioning this here in case there is interest in moving toward
this method for saving time when creating releases.  Then maybe there
wouldn't be any need to delay when the jigdo templates are released
vs. the bittorrent seed like we have with F9 Preview Release :-)