Fedora 9 and VMWare server

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Apr 19 06:18:22 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>>> I didn't have to manually load the 32 bit libraries like that in F8.
>>
>> Yes. The multilib policy has changed and we don't install 32-bit libs
>> on a 64-bit system by default anymore. You can change it in yum.conf
>> by setting multilib_policy=all. The default is best.
>
> What does it hurt to have a library installed that is unused some of the
> time?

The policy change was already proposed and discussed in this list.
We don't have space on the live cd. Any software that is unused also
adds to disk space, costs bandwidth (both on the systems as well as the
mirrors) to keep it updated and increases the potential for security
issues and sometimes additional maintenance overhead.

Rahul