Fedora 9 and VMWare server - create a requires package ?

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sun Apr 20 00:11:33 UTC 2008

Dan Horák wrote:
> Warren Togami píše v Pá 18. 04. 2008 v 19:39 -0400:
>> Alan wrote:
>>> I tried to get VMWare Server running on Fedora 9.  Notices that it needs
>>> to have the 32 bit version of libXtst installed.  This does not get
>>> installed on x86_64.
> would not "yum localinstall vmware.rpm" take it automagicaly?
No, because the vmware...rpm is not specific to fedora and hence does
not contain proper requires for fedora. You need to add other packages
to make it work and allow the kernel module compile.

As an aside, would it be possible to include in Fedora an 'requires'
package for vmware, that causes all the required parts to be installed
except vmware itself ?

That way it has no external requirements. It also doesn't do anything
when installed other than ensure certain other libraries and tools are
installed to help an external package work.

In the packaging guidelines, the most applicable part I found was:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines?action=show#head-daa717ea096fa4d9cf7b9a49b5edb36e3bda3aac

DaveT