compat-wxGTK-2.4.2

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 09:09:53 UTC 2008

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 10:13:05 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 09:48:10AM +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> >
> > wxGTK source-level (API-) compatibility doesn't give you ultimate ABI
> > compatibility.
>
> But in that case the proprietary app could be rebuilt against the new
> ABI, if it is API compatible, so it is much less problematic than if it
> was api incompatible. I mean, rebuilding the application is certainly much
> less resource consuming than packaging old libraries, in fedora or
> embedded in the rpm.

Sure, it *could* be rebuilt, provided that the developer is not so focused
on building for Windows only. Perhaps he just needs some feedback (and
support)? It *could* have been rebuilt already a few years ago. We still
have compat-wxGTK26, which is source-compatible with 2.4 and even 2.2.

--
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) - Linux 2.6.23.15-137.fc8
loadavg: 1.22 1.60 1.66