compat-wxGTK-2.4.2

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 09:58:15 UTC 2008

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 10:28:02 +0100, Pascal wrote:

> > Perhaps he just needs some
> > feedback (and support)? It *could* have been rebuilt already a few
> > years ago. We still have compat-wxGTK26, which is source-compatible
> > with 2.4 and even 2.2.
> >

> Is there any documentation/help somewhere to do such work ?

Point the source to /usr/bin/wx-2.6-config instead of /usr/bin/wx-config
that is one way, provided that wx-config is used to retrieve the wxGTK
setup. Give it a try, see whether the compiler complains.

> Source compatible ? Do you mean that is should compile whitout changing
> anything ?

That's what we do with Audacity, which was developed for wxGTK <= 2.4.
The wxGTK 2.6.x series is the last that was also used by upstream
developers to build with (if we didn't upgrade to the very latest beta or
cvs snapshots which receive fixes for wxGTK 2.8.x). Later versions of
wxGTK, e.g. the 2.8 series, changed the feature set and sometimes the
run-time behaviour. One cannot be sure that its --enable-compat24 mode
leads to full compatibility. And it wouldn't be the first time that
application developers used an older API in unintended ways or accessed
non-public values/methods which were removed/changed later.

--
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) - Linux 2.6.23.15-137.fc8
loadavg: 1.01 1.26 1.36