F9 beta: disk druid

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Mon Apr 21 02:36:42 UTC 2008

Ok, I tried to install either F8 or F7 on this machine.  Both of those
could only see two of the SATA controllers.  So at least F9 found all
the SATA controllers.  If the F9 anaconda installer would just quit
crashing with unhandled exception...

The issue of the changing device names has me concerned.  If SATA acts
like SCSI then are the hdd device names going to be changing all the
time when I plug in my usbkey during boot?  Also, I have drive utilities
that store things like partition tables in files like hda1.part.  But
with SATA, /dev/sda, may next time be /dev/sdc.  So my utilities would
not be able to know it the partition was actually for the correct drive
device.  So how are we to manage things like partition table dumps so
that they would be loaded back onto the correct device?

Gerry