CVS Outage

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Apr 21 13:56:55 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 15:05 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:

> There will be an outage starting at 2008-04-19 18:00 UTC.  Initial
> estimates show that 30 hours will be needed to complete the branching,
> however this may drastically be reduced during the full run.

Unfortunately this outage is still ongoing.  I failed to get a
notification when the first leg finished around 2am my time and lost 6~
hours to sleep.  All the PackageDB settings are done (barring a few
failures) and we're well into the packages that start with "p" for
making the branches within CVS.  I expect it to take another half a day
or so to finish.

Future Recommendation:
  Enable methods of doing mass branching without incurring an outage.
Make pkgdb be able to bypass mail sending, and make CVS be able to
bypass mail sending for these operations.  Will take longer overall, but
no outage.

--
Jesse Keating