Some experiences after installing/upgrading to F9 Beta

Joachim Backes joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Wed Apr 23 11:31:49 UTC 2008

Please let me report my experiences when installing the F9 Beta preview:

0. The disk naming scheme has been changed: in my F8 box, I have a SATA disk called /dev/sda
    and an IDE disk called /dev/sdb; in F9, the names have been exchanged.
1. I copied my F8 (on my SATA disk) from /dev/sdb1 into partition /dev/sdb9, then upgraded F8
    on /dev/sdb9.
    But after the upgrade was performed, I saw that F8 on /dev/sdb1 had been upgraded and not that
    F8 on /dev/sdb9, and all partitions were re-labelled with some UUIDs.
2. I copied the install iso to some partition and booted the installer with "askmethod".
    When prompted, I choosed "install from local harddrive" instead of "local DVD", but the
    installation still was done DVD based.
3. After booting the fresh installed F9, I waited for "firstboot", but the box hung,
    and firstboot could not be seen (the boot was done into initmode 5).
    As workaround i booted again in initmode 3, then the firstboot
    was presented.

Regards

--
Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>
University of Kaiserslautern,Computer Center [RHRK],