Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Apr 23 15:58:00 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:30:31AM -0400, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> I propose that we add /sbin and /usr/sbin to the path for normal users
> (as well as root) for F10? There are plenty of useful tools in there for
> non-root users (ifconfig, fdisk, parted), and IMHO, any tool which
> assumes the user is root because it lives in /sbin is fundamentally
> broken. The LSB doesn't mandate this (at least, not anywhere I can see),
> so I propose that we just do it.
>
> Anyone opposed to such an action?

FWIW, Debian doesn't have these in normal users' PATH, but does change
the PATH to include them when you do 'su'.

On a Debian system:

  $ echo $PATH
  /home/rich/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
  $ su
  Password:
  # echo $PATH
  /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11

I don't know how Debian does this, but it's extremely useful.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top