Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Lubomir Kundrak lkundrak at redhat.com
Wed Apr 23 17:15:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 19:12 +0300, Pekka Pietikainen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 05:55:28PM +0200, Adam Tkac wrote:
> > I think we can simply create /sbin -> /bin and /usr/sbin -> /usr/bin
> > for backward compatibility. Typing /sbin every time when I want run
> > ifconfig or service <something> status is really annoying.
> Yea. Especially since there are a lot of /sbin tools that are really useful
> without privileges.
>
> Hell, wireshark _warns_ you if you try to run it as root these days, and
> what we have is a consolehelper wrapper in /usr/bin that wants to
> make it run as root, if at all possible.
>
> I do my packet captures in other ways and occasionally use wireshark to look
> at the dirty details. I hate getting that "want root?" popup unless I
> specify the /usr/sbin one. Sure I can press "No", but it's still annoying.

It used to be the same with virt-manager. To many of its current uses
consolehelper is a bad solution. What do we get with it is things like
big GTK based applications running with superuser privilegies (I even
doubt we have a selinux policy for wireshark do we?). I believe
PolicyKit solves this problem to desirable extent.