Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Apr 23 19:04:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 03:01:25PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 02:49:02PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> >  > >  Once upon a time, traceroute was in sbin and *that* got fixed. I don't
> >  > >  see any reason we can't fix the other _tiny handful_ of commands this
> >  > >  affects. (Especially if the sudo securepath option is also enabled,
> >  > >  which reduces the number further.)
> >  > "The perfect is the enemy of the good" --Voltaire
> >  Err, sure. So let's make it good. That's my side of the argument, right? :)
> Heh, no.  The good is the two-line change to the setup package to make
> things better.

That would be true if it didn't make things _worse_. :)

But that aside, in this case, the quote in this case should be changed to
"the mediocre/poor is the enemy of the good", because once /sbin and
/usr/sbin are crammed into everyone's path, there's never going to be any
incentive to put programs in sensible places. We'd still have
/usr/sbin/traceroute.