Re: Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

On Apr 23, 2008, at 5:30 AM, Tom spot Callaway wrote:

I propose that we add /sbin and /usr/sbin to the path for normal users
(as well as root) for F10? There are plenty of useful tools in there for
non-root users (ifconfig, fdisk, parted), and IMHO, any tool which
assumes the user is root because it lives in /sbin is fundamentally
broken. The LSB doesn't mandate this (at least, not anywhere I can see),
so I propose that we just do it.

Anyone opposed to such an action?

I would rather see any of the following:

- Complete elimination of sbin vs. bin dirs. Just put everything in bin. This is probably a bad idea anyway, since it really shows bad form. And who knows, we might have more than 32768 dentry's in bin some day, and that would be bad for ext3. - Picking the commands that make sense for non-root users and moving them from sbin to bin (ifconfig and route, for instance). Isn't that why mount(8) lives in /bin anyway?

I think modifying the default PATH is a short term solution, but I'd rather see packaging policy changed and packages for F-10 changed to move commands in to bin that should belong there.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell redhat com>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI