Re: Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10
From: Hans de Goede <j w r degoede hhs nl>
To: Development discussions related to Fedora <fedora-devel-list redhat com>
Date: 04/23/2008 12:32 PM

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
I propose that we add /sbin and /usr/sbin to the path for normal users
(as well as root) for F10? There are plenty of useful tools in there for
non-root users (ifconfig, fdisk, parted), and IMHO, any tool which
assumes the user is root because it lives in /sbin is fundamentally
broken. The LSB doesn't mandate this (at least, not anywhere I can see),
so I propose that we just do it.

Anyone opposed to such an action?

Not at all,

+1000000

I've been consistenly changing /etc/profile todo exactly this since the day I started using RH 4.0

Regards,

Hans

+1000000 here too

I'm tired of editing profiles, too. I've never had any trouble with /sbin and /usr/sbin in my PATH for over two years. It's frustrated me more than enough times.

Mike