Re: Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re:Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10
From: Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 freenet de>
To: Development discussions related to Fedora <fedora-devel-list redhat com>
Date: 04/23/2008 05:46 PM

It will achieve the opposite to what we have today.

No. It will promote proper program installation paths. Right now we basically have "Security Through Obscurity," which I thought was frowned upon in our world.
Instead of users complaining about "where is ifconfig" we will be facing
users complaining about "why are these unusable install-info, httpd,
ftpd etc. polluting my PATH?".

Who would complain about that? Why would you care if you have one extra program in your PATH? Is the world coming to an end? I don't see where all the hostility is being generated besides the fact that "it's different."
I.e. Spot's proposal as well as symlink farms don't solve anything.
To the contrary: They (re-) introduce the problems, the fact */sbin
exists, so far has kept low.

Symlinks should be dropped as a solution.
Ralf