Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 03:37:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 8:57 PM, Thomas M Steenholdt <tmus at tmus.dk> wrote:
> Hans de Goede wrote:
>
> > Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> >

> > > I propose that we add /sbin and /usr/sbin to the path for normal users
> > > (as well as root) for F10? There are plenty of useful tools in there for
> > > non-root users (ifconfig, fdisk, parted), and IMHO, any tool which
> > > assumes the user is root because it lives in /sbin is fundamentally
> > > broken. The LSB doesn't mandate this (at least, not anywhere I can see),
> > > so I propose that we just do it.
> > >

> > > Anyone opposed to such an action?
> > >

> > Not at all,
> >
> > +1000000
> >
> > I've been consistenly changing /etc/profile todo exactly this since the
> day I started using RH 4.0
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hans
> >

>  Isn't that more or less the same reason most windows users login as
> administrator - The convenience?
>
>  Note: I know the security risk in the two examples are not in the same
> ball-park, so there's no need to lecture me on that.
>
>  I'm merely speaking of convenience and how it sometimes makes it feel right
> to do the wrong thing.

Speaking as probably one of the most inexperienced Fedora users
subscribing to this list. I whole-heartedly agree with this sentiment.
Its already been said but I will say it again anyway. Those that know
how to add things to their $PATH will do just that and not be
inconvenienced. If you don't know how to find ifconfig and add it to
your $PATH then you probably would just shoot yourself in the foot
with it, if you don't know but are motivated you can certainly find
this info easily enough. Our time on this earth is limited  but its
not that limited. For the love of god do not change things because it
will save you 3 minutes every 6 months.

Max