Re: Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:30:31PM -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
> The FHS states that /sbin and /usr/sbin are for root-only commands.
> If we have programs in those directories that are to be used by
> non-root users, I think we've violated the FHS.

The FHS says

"Utilities used for system administration (and other root-only
 commands) are stored in /sbin, /usr/sbin, and /usr/local/sbin."

It's open to interpretation whether the "other root-only command"
implies that "utilities used for system administration" are root-only,
too.

And even if so, the question is whether using 10% of a command (its
querying options) makes a command non-root.

And FWIW I'm not that happy that the default on a multiuser system is
that any *user* can do lots of system analysis. Aren't we blurring the
line between managing and using a system just because we (and other
power users) enjoy doing it all from one account? In that case just
have this account add its favourite PATH extras.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net