Garbled fonts in Fedora 9-Preview

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Thu Apr 24 07:30:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 08:59 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Jeu 24 avril 2008 07:32, Peter Lemenkov a écrit :
> > Hello All!
> >
> > See screenshot:
> >
> > http://peter.fedorapeople.org/bad_fonts.png
>
> I've seen this installing/updating font packages while firefox was
> running. Restarting firefox always fixed the problem. There is a bug
> somewhere in the font stack firefox uses which makes it loose its
> little mind when font files change under it. (if anyone had a bug
> pointer it'd be great)

I've noticed that for quite some time firefox seems to become quirky if
it was running when you upgrade.  Lots of little things that don't seem
like much, but which you're sure aren't working right or shouldn't
happen, right down to not being able to close firefox (and having to
killall firefox-bin)

And then you restart it, and it does one of the version check things and
you think, ah, that's right, I upgraded firefox while it was running.

R.
 It's much better on my side"