Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 14:49:14 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> max bianco wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 7:21 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:50:23PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > >  > > What happens if a debian user types 'ifconfig' to find his IP
> address?
> > >  > $ ifconfig
> > >  > -bash: ifconfig: command not found
> > >

> > >  If the goal here is "provide users with an easy way to find their ip
> > >  address", I don't think changing how one calls an arcane command like
> > >  ifconfig is really the solution. Instead, there should be a shell
> script
> > >  named something like "myip", which will then just return that.
> > >

> > +1 but you can get your ip from the network applet, how many "average"
> > users are dropping to a terminal to do anything?
> >

>  All of them when something doesn't work and they call their sysadmin friend
> that has known how to check the ip address on unix-like systems for decades.
> You aren't doing anyone a favor by making that difficult.

Fair enough, there are obviously good arguments either way. In this
situation , in that situation....we could go in circles till hell
freezes over. A power user can figure it out and the rest I'd rather
not have screwing around in a terminal, even if the worst they can do
is just screw up their /home/1user because ultimately someone will
have to go down their because 1user called his sysadmin buddy and
memorized a few commands and subsequently really screwed the pooch
because they thought "Now i'm an expert too!!"

Max