Fedora JeOS?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Apr 24 14:55:46 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 03:41:32PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just read about SLES JeOS and Ubuntu JeOS on the register here
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/23/novell_sles_jeos_beta/
>
> With all the effort that was made for slimming down Fedora for OLPC I
> would think we're in a pretty good position to do something similar.
> Is there a JeOS planned, or even a SubProject planned for something
> like this? I quick wiki search doesn't reveal anything but something
> like this with all the virtualisation going on would be cool.

Unless I am wrong, there is already a minimal install spin. But it is
not the same idea than OLPC, since it is exactly the same than classical
fedora, just with the minimal set of packages installed. It is true,
however that OLPC helped removing 'dependency bloat', but some people
already cared.

It should also be mentionned that doing a spin (unless it has changed),
though not very well documented is very easy thanks to pungi.

Last think I'd like to mention is that due to how pungi works (and still
if nothing changed) some bloat is currently unavoidable, since the
packages used by pungi/anaconda have to be there, and it includes
packages and dependencies that should not be in a minimal install,
but it is a known issue.

--
Pat