Re: Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell gmail com> wrote:
> Izhar Firdaus wrote:
>
> > 2008/4/24 Toshio Kuratomi <a badger gmail com>:
> >
> > >  Actually, this is not true.  I added it to my PATH for years since
> starting
> > > on RHL-4.  But at some point in using Fedora, I stopped because  I gave
> up
> > > on the hassle of adding a custom PATH to /etc/profile.d/ every time I
> > > installed a new box.  Additionally, I now have more shell accounts on
> boxes
> > > that I only drop into once in a while when something's wrong that I've
> > > learned to accept the constant annoyance of not having .*/sbin in my
> PATH.
> > >

> > i put 'export PATH="$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin"' in my ~/.bashrc ...
> > reinstall, whatever, nothing changes as long as i keep my home folder
> > ..
> >
> > (another trick of mine .. a rpm, eg: mycustomizations.rpm to save time
> > for certain stuff outside the home folder)
> >

>  Having to do that is a pretty clear statement that the defaults are wrong.

The defaults are wrong for you ,me, and just about everyone that
subscribes to this list. Joe User doesn't need access to these
commands. Others have pointed out that it will break things, whether
these broken things will be easy to fix or not is less than relevant.
Aren't there better things to spend time fixing? The best solution as
far as I am concerned is to make all your users responsible for
setting up and administering their own box. Sink or swim! Then this
conversation would be truly pointless and sysadmins wouldn't have to
worry about what is or isn't in the users $PATH.

Max