Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 15:27:39 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> max bianco wrote:
>

> > >  All of them when something doesn't work and they call their sysadmin
> friend
> > > that has known how to check the ip address on unix-like systems for
> decades.
> > > You aren't doing anyone a favor by making that difficult.
> > >

> > Fair enough, there are obviously good arguments either way.
> >

>  Odd, then, that no one has presented an actual argument showing something
> that would break with /sbin and /user/sbin at the end of the default PATH.
> Or a simple, intuitive solution to becoming root with root's path without
> changing your working directory in the case where the paths are different.
>

> > A power user can figure it out and the rest I'd rather
> > not have screwing around in a terminal, even if the worst they can do
> > is just screw up their /home/1user because ultimately someone will
> > have to go down their because 1user called his sysadmin buddy and
> > memorized a few commands and subsequently really screwed the pooch
> > because they thought "Now i'm an expert too!!"
> >

>  If you think people can't learn to use the command line you should just
> walk away from unix-like systems now.

I deal with "average users" on a daily basis, most of them aren't
interested in learning anything, they will memorize things though and
that is more dangerous by far, if they wanted to learn the command
line there are ample resources for the motivated among us to find and
do just that but genuine desire to tinker with machines is a geek
trait that not all of us possess. Some people program, some administer
systems, some are doctors, some lawyers, etc.... Now do you want to
explain to a  user that the assumption was made that they knew
something when there was no basis for that assumption in the first
place.
I love to teach and learn. I am happy to hose my system and rebuild
it. I get genuine satisfaction out of doing it.  How many users feel
that way? How many times have I shown a user how to do something but
they still don't get it? because they are stupid or incapable? NO!
because they lack the geek trait or more to the point they are law
geeks, not computer geeks.

Max