Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 15:59:40 UTC 2008

max bianco wrote:
>>> for certain stuff outside the home folder)
>>>
>>  Having to do that is a pretty clear statement that the defaults are wrong.
>>

> The defaults are wrong for you ,me, and just about everyone that
> subscribes to this list. Joe User doesn't need access to these
> commands.

That is an annoyingly elitist attitude that still doesn't justify making
things more confusing.

> Others have pointed out that it will break things, whether
> these broken things will be easy to fix or not is less than relevant.

No they haven't.

> Aren't there better things to spend time fixing?

No, always fix the obvious things first so they don't get in the way
when you work on something obscure.  If you don't want people logging in
as root (because you don't trust all the code you ship?), then it should
be straightforward to 'su' and execute commands as root.

The best solution as
> far as I am concerned is to make all your users responsible for
> setting up and administering their own box. Sink or swim! Then this
> conversation would be truly pointless and sysadmins wouldn't have to
> worry about what is or isn't in the users $PATH.

That has absolutely nothing to do with supplying usable defaults, which
is what this conversation was about.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com