Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 23:25:43 UTC 2008

Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Axel Thimm wrote:
>>>
>>> The FHS says
>>>
>>> "Utilities used for system administration (and other root-only
>>>  commands) are stored in /sbin, /usr/sbin, and /usr/local/sbin."
>>>
>>> It's open to interpretation whether the "other root-only command"
>>> implies that "utilities used for system administration" are root-only,
>>> too.
>>
>> Given a unix-like context, one would expect a root-only command, by
>> definition, to have modes like  rwx------  root root  filename.  But I
>> still have a problem with not being able to find them in my PATH after
>> su'ing regardless of where they are.
>>

> Someone clever once came up with the great KISS concept.
>
> Applied to this particular problem, we should try to make things simple
> (as in easy) for all users and admins while keeping the system simple
> (as in complexity).
>
> That solution has already been subscribed in the thread over and over,
> symlink the tools that make sense from */sbin/ to */bin/ and be done
> with it. It will solve all issues in both camps and we can carry on.
>
> At the same time, this could also be viewed as a compromise between the
> camp ideals.
>
> At the same time still, it keeps the basic layout of the filesystem
> intact so that we can still be at least somewhat FHS compliant (i know
> we're not fully compliant, but there's no sense in breaking out of an
> attempted standard completely). Also we don't need to rewrite
> documentation and howtos.
>
> Everybody happy?

Uhm... KISS principle would be to add /sbin and /usr/sbin to the end of
PATH as it's a simple change in one package.  Symlinking requires an
ongoing effort to decide which programs should be placed in /bin, which
in /sbin, and which in both /sbin and /bin.  Then further effort must be
applied to the packages to make sure that they not only install into the
correct directory, but also have the proper symlinks set up.  This is
far from a KISS solution.

-Toshio