Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Suren Karapetyan surenkarapetyan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 07:07:09 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
>

>> Someone clever once came up with the great KISS concept.
>>
>> Applied to this particular problem, we should try to make things
>> simple (as in easy) for all users and admins while keeping the system
>> simple (as in complexity).
>>
>> That solution has already been subscribed in the thread over and
>> over, symlink the tools that make sense from */sbin/ to */bin/ and be
>> done with it. It will solve all issues in both camps and we can carry
>> on.
>
> If you don't take them all, how does this solve the problem that 'su'
> vs. 'su -' will still not have all the same things included in your
> path?   Personally, I'd rather see everything moved to /bin and
> /usr/bin with /sbin and /user/sbin changed to compatibility symlinks,
> but that can only be done cleanly during a new install (or maybe
> wrapped in a reboot).

I don't quite understand why "su" and "su -" should be doing the same thing.
What's the point in "-" if they should do the same?
BTW tweaking PATH or symlinking stuff from */sbin into */bin or merger
won't make "su" behave like "su -".
Personally I'm happy doing "su" then "make install" if I don't want to
change cwd and my exports (CFLAGS?) and aliases and doing "su -" to do
some tweaking with iptables, ip, tc, dhcpd, asterisk...
I've never liked the Ubuntu way of doing things. The first thing I did
on any Ubuntu system I had to use was "sudo passwd; su -"
And also: I've never had */sbin in the PATH of my non-root user.