New vegastrike for F-10: 500MB !! ??

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 09:27:01 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 05:31:26PM +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
>  > On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 08:59 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>  > > Hi All,
>  > >
>  > > I'm planning on updating vegastrike to the new 0.5.0 upstream release for F-10
>  > > and maybe later F-9 / F-8 too, but vegastrike has been dead for a while and now
>  > > makes some huge changes, so better to keep the old trusted version for F-8 /
>  > > F-9 for a while.
>  > >
>  > > However the 0.5.0 datafiles are 500 Mb b2zipped! So is this a problem?
>  >
>  > That depends.  Are you wanting it installed on the Live CD? 8-]
>
>  For Live CD it is obviously out of the question, it wouldn't even fit
>  there, but even in the Everything trees 500MB of data for a game is IMHO too
>  much.  Remember many people mirror the whole Everything tree to do local
>  installs etc.

but i really dont see the issue here, simply because you could just
exclude that one package from mirroring. what if someone adds 100 x
5mb packages tomorrow... the everything mirror scripts will then have
to mirror the same size.

splitting makes sense if splitting is an option... seperate repo?
first all gets merged into one "because it is so much better" then
people promote to split out stuff into seperate repos again... oh well
;)

in the future i guess it is a save prediction that there will be even
larger packages

... and as for updates... if we had presto properly integrated that
would also be a non issue.

dont really see the point of excluding a nice free software game just
because it comes with a good amount of content/data and i am also
curious if it really should be treated in a special way.

kind regards,
Rudolf Kastl

p.s. if you wanna top a 500mb package... just package all flightgear
scenarios into a single flightgear-world rpm :) then we can test how
well it works to have a package that is several gigabytes big (j/k)