New vegastrike for F-10: 500MB !! ??

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 09:51:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:09:57 +0200 (CEST), Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le Ven 25 avril 2008 10:47, Jakub Jelinek a écrit :
>
> > For Live CD it is obviously out of the question, it wouldn't even fit
> > there, but even in the Everything trees 500MB of data for a game is
> > IMHO too much.
>
> Can't the data set be broken out in several packages ?

And then? Have several packages which create a weird dep-chain?
Or make it a pain for the user to hunt for such packages?

> > Remember many people mirror the whole Everything tree to do
> > local installs etc.
>
> That just means we need more granular repositories, with one
> repository devoted to big lumps of optional resources like game data,
> artwork (images/audio/video), artistic fonts, document templates,
> cliparts, etc

Last time that was discussed briefly [a few years ago], no solution was
found. While you can separate [game] run-time from [game] data and put the
huge data pkgs into a separate repository, you don't want to enable that
repository by default, because that would cause yum to download even more
metadata. The run-time portion would need to depend on a disabled external
repository and warn about missing data.

Putting all games into one "Games" repo may work for some time until a
game pkg builds a library that is used by a pkg in another repo. Mapping
the comps groups into a repository hierarchy leads to much more complex
inter-repository dependencies and the necessity to maintain additional
lists for the "package name -> repository" mapping (or reuse the RPM spec
Group). The same applies to creating separate repositories for
"mandatory", "recommended" and "optional". They will keep growing anyway.

> IMHO it's good to have more FLOSS stuff packaged and we should not
> limit our ecosystem - that would put Fedora to a huge competitive
> disadvantage WRT entities with no such qualms.

The "Everything" repo is huge already. When will that be a reason to be
concerned?

--
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) - Linux 2.6.23.15-137.fc8
loadavg: 1.11 1.21 1.33