Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 13:06:20 UTC 2008

>  Isn't the first thing they ask you always 'why can't I run ifconfig (or
> fdisk, etc.)'?  Why confuse them with things the PATH mechanism was designed
> to take care of transparently for you?

because using fdisk, for example, implies a certain level of
knowledge. If i fdisk incorrectly i will hose my system beyond my
ability to repair it or i will get access denied or you aren't root or
whatever you like and be just as annoyed that it let me get that far
only to stop me when I try to use it, "If i can't use the tool then
why oh why is it in my path?You've handed me a nail and no hammer!" or
do you think the "average" user should be using fdisk unsupervised?

Max