Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Suren Karapetyan surenkarapetyan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 14:10:48 UTC 2008

On 4/25/08, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> If you don't take them all, how does this solve the problem that 'su'
> >> vs. 'su -' will still not have all the same things included in your
> >> path?   Personally, I'd rather see everything moved to /bin and
> >> /usr/bin with /sbin and /user/sbin changed to compatibility symlinks,
> >> but that can only be done cleanly during a new install (or maybe
> >> wrapped in a reboot).
> >>
> > I don't quite understand why "su" and "su -" should be doing the same
> > thing.
> > What's the point in "-" if they should do the same?
>
> They shouldn't be doing the same thing, but (a) that's an obscure point
> that a new user should not have to learn while he's trying to fix some
> other problem if you don't want them to hate linux, and (b) when you do
> know the difference you may not really want it to happen.
>
> > BTW tweaking PATH or symlinking stuff from */sbin into */bin or merger
> > won't make "su" behave like "su -".
>
> That's not what I want.  I want to be able to run the programs that
> someone arbitrarily decided should live in /sbin or /usr/sbin without
> having to know that they are in /sbin or /usr/sbin (or who decided that,
> or when or why), _and_ without changing my working directory.
>
> > Personally I'm happy doing "su" then "make install" if I don't want to
> > change cwd and my exports (CFLAGS?) and aliases and doing "su -" to do
> > some tweaking with iptables, ip, tc, dhcpd, asterisk...
> > I've never liked the Ubuntu way of doing things. The first thing I did
> > on any Ubuntu system I had to use was "sudo passwd; su -"
>
> On Ubuntu (and Mac, etc.) just 'sudo su -' to get a reasonable root
> shell.  If you drink the sudo kool-aid, that at least makes sense but it
> will still change your cwd.
>
> > And also: I've never had */sbin in the PATH of my non-root user.
>
> Isn't the first thing they ask you always 'why can't I run ifconfig

To be honest I've never been asked that. Maybe it's the result of me
telling my "students" to use root (doing "su -") when tweaking the
system and not use it for anything else.
But I still agree with You about ifconfig. It's the only thing I use
from */sbin as a normal user (at least I can't remember anything
else).
> (or fdisk,
And I still can't understand what's the point of running fdisk as a normal user.
> etc.)'?
And I'm still waiting to be told what other tools are in "etc"