Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Suren Karapetyan surenkarapetyan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 15:21:30 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 7:35 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Suren Karapetyan <surenkarapetyan at gmail.com> said:
>  > And I still can't understand what's the point of running fdisk as a normal user.
>
>  Think about virtualization setups; non-root users can run fdisk on disk
>  images.
I assume if a guy is doing virt he should have some knowledge or be
following a howto (in this case the author will still need to care
about PATH because of many different distros)

>  > And I'm still waiting to be told what other tools are in "etc"
>
>  I've posted my list a couple of times (and others have added to it), so
>  you've been told.  Here's what else I use on at least a semi-regular
>  basis:
>
>    /sbin/arp, /sbin/chkconfig, /sbin/ip, /sbin/iwconfig, /sbin/iwlist,
>    /sbin/lsmod, /sbin/lspci, /sbin/lsusb, /sbin/modinfo, /sbin/route,
>    /usr/sbin/hardlink, /usr/sbin/ipmiconsole, /usr/sbin/ipmipower,
>    /usr/sbin/ntpq, /usr/sbin/rndc
OK You can use these tools to query for information, but most of the
time You're going to take some action after it which will need root.
So it will make sense to do "su -"
And again most of these tools make no sense to a non-admin user.
How many times did You use ipmi* before it became You job?
The ones which make sense can be symlinked.

So It boils down to at least power users, who can take care of themselves.
And from the list You can tell that there's no right way of doing
this. Some people like having sbin in their PATH, some don't. For now
the default doesn't include sbin which means the ones who don't want
sbin are lucky :-) . Those who want it may add it to their PATH in 15
secs. And You need to do it only once for every user,system couple.