How to downgrade Fedora to previous release?

Lubomir Kundrak lkundrak at redhat.com
Sun Apr 27 15:06:19 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 14:30 +0400, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> Hello All!
> Since Fedora 9-Preview completely unuseable for me I decided to step
> back to F-8. Thus far I know abount the only solution - backing up
> /etc/ and /home directories and reinstalling F-8 but maybe there are
> some ways to downgrade to previous relese and updates.

I did a downgrade from Fedora 8 to RHEL-5 (FC6 fork). While it needed a
lot to be done manually (sorry I don't remember details, roughly it was
like:

rpm -q --qf '%{name}\n' |xargs yumdownloader
rpm --force -Uvh *.rpm

I hope you can figure out what can get wrong, and hopefully F9 is not
that different from F8 as RHEL5 is from F8.

> Another one note - since FC-4 of FC-2 I never updated to next release
> w/o errors and things tends to be more worse than earlier. Looks like
> it's doe to lack of testing combined with lack of comminications
> within community (if such a community exists at all). Take a look at
> the fedora popularity trend compared with other distros popularities.

Feel free to grab testing release and test as much as you wish.