is xorg.conf still needed

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Wed Apr 30 07:21:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 01:12 -0400, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Speaking about xorg.conf. It would be nice to discuss about tablet device
> support like Wacom model. So far I have to manually edit that file to fully
> enable feature of stylus. Maybe talking to upstream would help.

Yes. My wife has an old serial Wacom. To add to the fun, she now has a
"legacy-free" laptop. I purchased a USB-serial adapter so she could
continue to use it. This means the serial port device is not necessarily
constant, and may not even be there when X starts up. It works just fine
as long as you kept the serial adapter plugged in at all times.
Unplugging it and plugging it back in tends to cause it to show up as a
the next device number up, which of course screws things up real good...

... Is this kind of setup ever going to "just work"? Its a 12x12in
tablet which is worth quite a bit of $$$. We got it for free some years
back from someone who went Mac OSX and thus couldn't use it anymore.
Wacom and Apple insist USB serial adapters can't work and refuse to
support such a set up in OSX. They're full of crap of course... :)