is xorg.conf still needed

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Wed Apr 30 08:56:48 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:52:20PM +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> I've been running my system for the past week without an xorg.conf file
> and it seems to work well
>
> I'm pretty sure that from comments made either on this list or
> fedora-test that we are moving in a direction where the norm will be
> that no xorg.conf file is needed and therefor won't be created.

I think it is not good idea. Autoconfiguration is generally better than
manual but in some cases autoconfiguration cannot help you. Examples:

- your xyz driver is broken and you want use vesa temporarily
- you want use some external module (like vnc module)
- you are user who needs fine-grained configuration (autoconfiguration
  is good for masses but sometimes people needs more)

Best should be use autoconfiguration as much as possible but preserve
and create minimal xorg.conf.

Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.