clex 3.18 failing on PPC

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Apr 30 12:36:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 02:18 +0300, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> Hello
>
>     Kairo Araújo - whom I have sponsored - has tried to update the
> package "clex" to version 3.18
> (http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=585648 ).
> Unfortunately build for PPC (and only for PPC) fails in koji, as can be
> seen at http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=585651 (this
> happens both in rawhide and F9). The build log ends with
>
> checking dependency style of gcc...
> gcc3
> checking for library containing stdscr...
> no
> configure: error: CLEX requires NCURSES package
>
> The same configure script on PPC64 gives:
>
> checking dependency style of gcc...
> gcc3
> checking for library containing stdscr...
> -lncurses
>
> (and builds successfully, unsurprisingly)
>     ncurses-devel in an explicit BR and according to
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=585651&name=root.log
> it has been installed in the buildroot.
>     Since neither Kairo nor I have access to PPC based machines, could
> someone give us a hand, please ?

Let me have a SSH public key and you can have an account on a suitable
machine. Another trick which is useful is to add ' || cat config.log' to
the end of the %configure line in the specfile -- and then you'll see
interesting stuff like this in build.log:

configure:3364: gcc -o conftest -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m32 -Wall -pedantic   conftest.c -lncurses   >&5
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccbzwK69.o(.text+0xc): unresolvable R_PPC_REL24 relocation against symbol `stdscr'
/tmp/ccbzwK69.o: In function `main':
/home/dwmw2/working/extras/clex/devel/clex-3.18/conftest.c:22: relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC_REL24 against symbol `stdscr' defined in .sbss section in /lib/libtinfo.so.5
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Smells like libtinfo isn't built with -fPIC?

--
dwmw2