is xorg.conf still needed

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Wed Apr 30 13:41:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 12:52 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> I've been running my system for the past week without an xorg.conf file
> and it seems to work well
>
> I'm pretty sure that from comments made either on this list or
> fedora-test that we are moving in a direction where the norm will be
> that no xorg.conf file is needed and therefor won't be created.
>
> I'm having discussions with someone about this at the moment and would
> appreciate some clarification on where things are head so that this can
> be addressed at their end.[1]
>
> [1] The nvidia service from livna tries to
> run /usr/sbin/nvidia-config-display which seems to require a xorg.conf
> file in place.  It appears that either (a) livna will need to work
> around the absence of this file by creating one (how?), and eventually
> (b) that nvidia will need to rewrite their software to recognize that
> the file need not exist.

The driver selection heuristic is the open source native driver for the
hardware, if it exists, followed by vesa.  Changing this (ie, to force
vesa, or to use a closed driver) requires writing a config file.

% system-config-display --noui --set-driver=nvidia

Will write a standard minimal config with the driver set to 'nvidia'.

- ajax