is xorg.conf still needed

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Wed Apr 30 14:00:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 09:28 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 10:56 +0200, Adam Tkac wrote:
> > I think it is not good idea. Autoconfiguration is generally better than
> > manual but in some cases autoconfiguration cannot help you. Examples:
> >
> > - your xyz driver is broken and you want use vesa temporarily
>
> Ultimately, we should be fixing these bugs.  Not having a config file to
> work around them.  But at the same time, the idea is that you can do
> things like this at the hal level with fdi files rather than xorg.conf

The answer here is that xorg.conf is allowed to be _very_ small.  All
the pieces you don't fill in will be filled in from the default
configuration heuristic.

Ideally, though this doesn't work yet, you'd just do:

Section "Device"
    Driver "vesa"
EndSection

and the rest would get filled in for you.

> > - you want use some external module (like vnc module)
>
> Not sure what the best answer for these are...  I defer to ajax :)

You should be able to load the vnc module, while still preserving the
rest of the autoconfig logic, with a config file consisting of just:

Section "Module"
    Load "vnc"
EndSection

This _should_ work today.  Please let me know if it doesn't!

- ajax