is xorg.conf still needed

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Wed Apr 30 18:55:36 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 10:56 +0200, Adam Tkac wrote:
> - your xyz driver is broken and you want use vesa temporarily

Once again, look to Windows. Implement a rescue mode of some sort that
falls back to VESA or even plain VGA if that fails. (Does VESA ever not
work anymore? Do we even support plain VGA anymore? I still remember the
days when cards didn't have VESA in them... :) Automatically trigger it
when X Keeps Crashing, plus some kind of manual trigger for other cases,
possibly triggered by a kernel command line option, which GRUB could
then be modified to provide a friendly user interface for...

> - you want use some external module (like vnc module)

Make modules like this dynamically runtime loadable, and possibly
un-loadable. Or hell, just load it all the time, in a disabled state if
it is unwanted. (Though I think doing VNC outside the X server is
probably the Right Thing, but the fact remains vnc.so is still way
faster and more reliable than Vino, and I'm not sure how this would work
out for physically-headless VNC servers...)

> - you are user who needs fine-grained configuration (autoconfiguration
>   is good for masses but sometimes people needs more)

Runtime loadable modules, and fully dynamic runtime reconfiguration...

(But you guys probably know all this.)

Oh the future is bright, soon we will no longer be trailing
embarrassingly behind Windows and OSX, and take our rightful place as
leaders. :) Nice work, all Xorg hackers!