F9 installation screenshot

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Apr 30 20:40:47 UTC 2008

Le mercredi 30 avril 2008 à 14:57 -0500, Callum Lerwick a écrit :
> On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 09:52 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > I, for one was glad when those (and previous redneck jokes) were
> > kicked out of the installer. The text and imagery used were just too
> > US-centric to be comfortable, and got old fast.
>
> It's a two way street.
>
> Yes, it's cool to hate America these days. I'm no fan of our current
> foreign policy myself. But it is still rather insulting in many circles
> that you paint all Americans as being rednecks like you just did.

Since you seem not to have gotten the reference, one of the ancient Red
Hat releases bragged about Redneck support in its image/text install
train. I can tell you this had a terrible effect on people that were
installing for another locale and found out half the needed pieces for
this locale were missing (but that's ok, Redneck is in, who actually
needs more than English+Redneck).

So get a grip. Everyone is not seing the world through and American eye.
American junk food industry imagery is not a positive image everywhere.
American cultural references and priorities are not shared by most of
the world.

That does not mean the world is seething with American haters. Indeed
the "if you don't aspire to be copycat Americans you must hate us" is
another typical American world-view that can be terribly annoying to
non-Americans (including to people who have a generally positive viex of
the USA).

Smart international organisations have nothing to win in draping
themselves in American symbols and imagery (or Chinese symbols and
imagery or French symbols and imagery, etc). You win hearth by
emphasising your local presence and if you can't do it you better
project a bland and neutral image.

--
Nicolas Mailhot