Automatic python requires

James Antill james at fedoraproject.com
Wed Apr 30 20:45:03 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 15:21 -0400, Jeff MacDonald wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 April 2008 3:03:05 am Christian Iseli wrote:
> >
> > Given that we are packaging for a specific distro, I think the case
> > could even be argued that the packager should replace all
> > #! /usr/bin/env <interpreter>
> > with
> > #! /usr/bin/<interpreter>
> > to make the distro consistent.
> >

> -1:
>
> the distro already consistently uses /usr/bin/env, and I vote to keep it that
> way. :)

% for i in /usr/bin/*; do
  head -1 $i | fgrep 'python';
done | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn
    109 #!/usr/bin/python
     33 #!/usr/bin/env python
     13 #!/usr/bin/python -tt
      8 #! /usr/bin/env python
      4 #! /usr/bin/python -E
      3 #!/usr/bin/python
      3 #! /usr/bin/python
      3 #! /usr/bin/env python2.5
      2 #!/usr/bin/python -t
      2 #!/usr/bin/python2.5
      1 #!/usr/bin/python -O
      1 #! /usr/bin/python2.5 -OOt
      1 #!/usr/bin/env python2.5

...I think you meant to say "+1 the distro. consistently doesn't
use /usr/bin/env now".
 Not forgetting that it's a significant bug to use /usr/bin/env with
anything security related.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.com>
Fedora