RFC: best way to fix the regular yum dependency problems with add-on packages from 3rd party repositories

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 14:36:22 UTC 2008

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 16:09:40 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> Further: Looking for file conflicts in all packages is a very
> time-consuming task -- it takes many hours iirc and thus to long to do
> it for each rawhide push. In the old Fedora Extras days mschwendt iirc
> had a script that did such checks that; he started it now and then
> manually. But this script just like a lot of other (semi-)automatic
> check scripts from Extras afaics one got lost/forgotten during the Core
> and Extras merge. :-((

Not this one, as it wasn't public. The reason I've stopped running it
is that running it and maintaining the bz tickets would be on my own
initiative, since the official policy on package conflicts [1] is
half-hearted, and I don't like that policy. All conflicts (whether
implicit or explicit) in a repository are a real PITA, if they are
revealed no later than through new dependencies during a yum update.

Florian La Roche has run a different script that can also detect conflicts
between files and symlinks (which is one of the things that cannot
be detected by examining remote metadata only).

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Conflicts