Old fakeroot bug on F7 onwards - where to download from

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 10:55:58 UTC 2008

2008/8/3 Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net>:
> It sure is possible, I'll look into updating the packages for >= F8.

Oh fantastic! Thanks!

> BTW were in the schook server project are you using it? Just curious. :)

In combination with rsync, on a package called "xs-rsync". The laptops
get their OS updates from the school server (aka XS) via
"olpc-update", a wrapper around rsync. Which means that even things
like /dev get rsynced. Naturally, I don't want to have various "/dev"
directories with real device nodes on the XS. And of course rsync runs
as an unpriv user, so publishing root owned files needs fakeroot.

There is a bit more detail in the README:
http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=users/martin/xs-rsync.git;a=blob;f=README;h=95c9a53ffc6c1ad47e7110c6657950c04bc5accf;hb=4800e21fdfe77e95c17acd6365689da2586348c1

and you can see the scripts too in that git repo. For each OS version
I keep a "state file" with all the ownerships and special nodes. rsync
runs always under fakeroot, with a readonly state file that is a
combination of all the per-os-version statefile. I learned this trick
from seeing a similar thing done by Scott for OLPC's update.laptop.org
- and I will probably use this trick more in the future.

I am finishing and packaging xs-rsync at the moment, but I spent all
saturday chasing down this bug in all the wrong places - and only woke
up this morning with thinking of waipid and faked.

> I use the tarballs on
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/f/fakeroot/
>
> For example for the latest fakeroot you can pick
>
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/f/fakeroot/fakeroot_1.9.6.tar.gz

Ah, good one - I could only think of trying apt-get source, which I am
happy to myself, but not appropriate for a Fedora build toolchain ;-)
-

thanks for the help!

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions