Interested in Fedora on Smaller Machines?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Aug 12 14:53:10 UTC 2008

Smaller form-factor machines such as the Asus eeePC have gotten a fair
bit of the tech press spotlight of late.  Have you bought one with the
idea of running Fedora on it?  Or have you thought about doing so?

I'm trying to gauge the interest in starting a SIG with the purpose of
making distribution changes to make running on these devices more
streamlined and have more work "out of the box".  This will involve both
the necessary work to just get the hardware working well with Fedora of
today as well as possibly a spin that is explicitly targeted at some of
the constraints of the hardware down the line[1].

If enough people are interested, I'd like to find a time later this week
or next week to have an initial meeting to kind of figure out what
bounds we want to tackle things in for the first pass.  Hardware that I
think definitely falls into the scope would be: netbooks, UMPCs, MIDs,
maybe the XO?   I've started up a page on the wiki
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JeremyKatz/Netbooks) that people can edit
and then we can go from there

Jeremy