Re: [Fedora-packaging] resolving rpmlint absolute symlinks issue

Paul Howarth wrote:
David Timms wrote:
Tom spot Callaway wrote:
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 08:11:11 +1000
David Timms <dtimms iinet net au> wrote:
Instead of doing:

ln -s /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pyvnc2swf/edit.py /usr/bin/vnc2swf-edit

You do a relative link, like this:

cd /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pyvnc2swf/
ln -s edit.py ../../../../bin/vnc2swf-edit

OK, that works for my raw file system, but how is it done in a package ?
cd %{buildroot}%{python_sitelib}/pyvnc2swf/
ln -s vnc2swf.py ../../../../bin/vnc2swf

rpmbuilds fine, but get rpmlint from the other way:

rpmlint --info pyvnc2swf-0.9.3-4.fc9.noarch.rpm
pyvnc2swf.noarch: W: dangling-relative-symlink /usr/bin/vnc2swf vnc2swf.py
The relative symbolic link points nowhere.

Is it OK to leave with that warning ?
Should it be fixed like Paul shows {with symlinks} in the above bug ?
Or is there another easy fix that doesn't require such trickery ?

Try this, which is I think what Spot meant:

ln -s ../lib/python2.5/site-packages/pyvnc2swf/vnc2swf.py \
    %{buildroot}%{_bindir}/vnc2swf

ln -s ../lib/python2.5/site-packages/pyvnc2swf/edit.py \
    %{buildroot}%{_bindir}/vnc2swf-edit

The problem with this is that you can't use the %{python_sitelib} macro to do it cleanly. You could take the relative link right up to the root directory to avoid that pitfall:

ln -s ../..%{python_sitelib}/pyvnc2swf/vnc2swf.py \
    %{buildroot}%{_bindir}/vnc2swf

ln -s ../..%{python_sitelib}/pyvnc2swf/edit.py \
    %{buildroot}%{_bindir}/vnc2swf-edit

However, this still requires the assumption that %{_bindir} is two levels down from the root directory, which is why I prefer the approach of using the "symlinks" utility - it requires no such assumptions.

Thanks again Paul, I missed the fact that I screwed up my reply to the wrong list, so I missed your second response until now. Meanwhile, I worked out the same that you mention.

I would prefer to know what the widely used solution to this lint issue is, since in looking at some random py* packages in cvs I didn't find any packages doing the same {providing a link in bindir for a .py script}.

DaveT.