Xen Dom0 support getting dropped?

David A. Wheeler dwheeler at dwheeler.com
Tue Aug 19 15:56:34 UTC 2008

"Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones at redhat.com>
>That's not entirely true. You should look at this page to see what's going on:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvopsDom0

I looked at that page, and that page's text seems pretty clear that
Xen dom0 _IS_ getting dropped.  Perhaps the page is wrong? I'm concerned;
I have systems that _depend_ on Xen (specifically) running Dom0, on both
32-bit and 64-bit, and thus I already can't upgrade them to F9.

Here's what I read from that page. How can I read this text
in any way other than "users of Xen dom0 are doomed :-)" ?

=================================

Current status
* Targeted release: Unknown
Work on getting Dom0 support in the upstream kernel has pretty much stalled for the last number of months so this feature is postponed until work upstream restarts.

Fedora 10 will ship with Xen i686 and x86_64 DomU support enabled in the stock kernel - i.e. there is no more kernel-xen.
    * Last updated: 2008-07-30
    * Percentage of completion: 30%

i386 Dom0

    * Not yet in rawhide kernel-xen
    * Boots, though bare metal is now non-functional until hacks are cleaned up
    * DMA (and thus real hardware drivers) working (if it doesn't straddle page boundaries)
    * Core needs major cleanup
    * Status at http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-02/msg00047.html
    * http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-02/msg00242.html
    * No backend drivers yet
    * Conflicts with x86_64 DomU patches

x86_64 Dom0

    * No active work yet....

Contingency Plan

If Dom0 support is still not ready for Fedora 10 GA, the options are:

    * Continue to ship with only DomU support
    * Drop Xen support altogether

--- David A. Wheeler