Java guidelines questions

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Aug 22 15:34:47 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Jerry James <loganjerry at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have some questions about the Java packaging guidelines with respect
> to native libraries [1].  JNI using packages must put the JAR and .so
> in %{_libdir}/%{name}, and use System.load() with a full path instead
> of using System.loadLibrary().  I guess this is for multilib
> situations, so you can have multiple JARs, each pointing to the
> correct .so.  Since that full path can start with either /usr/lib or
> /usr/lib64, how have others generated that full path?

Practically speaking you could just put it in /usr/lib because we will
never support multilib Java.

However, if you want to put it on /usr/lib64 on x86_64 to make the
filesystem prettier, take a look at how the javasqlite package does
it:
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/devel/javasqlite/

> Has there been any thoughts around providing a Fedora-specific
> JAR to hide the details of native library loading?  (Maybe
> "Fedora.loadLibrary()"?)

We just need to make the regular OpenJDK System.loadLibrary search
both locations.