Why does PackageKit depend on NetworkManager?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Aug 27 03:00:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 14:51 +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> Is there anything preventing PK from connecting to the network over
> non-NM-controlled network interfaces?
>
> (I am not using PackageKit facilities, just surprised at the dependencies...)

It depends on NetworkManager-glib, not NetworkManager.  And it does so
to check the status of the network connection before checking for
updates.  I believe that if NetworkManager doesn't respond (because
you're bringing up your network some other way), it will continue on as
though the connection is said to be up by NM.

Jeremy