Re: libgnutls-openssl and real openssl conflict

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 18:30 -0400, David A. Wheeler wrote:
Any program that links to libgnutls-openssl that has GPL'ed components
probably CANNOT be legally linked to OpenSSL.

For what it is worth, we consider OpenSSL a system library (aka, a
"major component"), as does the FSF.

From GPLv2:

  However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not
include anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies the executable.

Thus, we're not concerned about OpenSSL and GPL incompatibility.

Erm what about the "unless that component itself accompanies the
executable." part, when we put openssl and a using app together on a CD does that not count as "accompanies the executable"? If not that would be great then I can fix this (for now) by simply using the real openssl in gkrellm.

Regards,

Hans