Interested in Fedora on Smaller Machines?

nodata lsof at nodata.co.uk
Fri Aug 29 14:56:21 UTC 2008

Am Freitag, den 29.08.2008, 15:44 +0100 schrieb Peter Robinson:
> > Smaller form-factor machines such as the Asus eeePC have gotten a fair
> > bit of the tech press spotlight of late.  Have you bought one with the
> > idea of running Fedora on it?  Or have you thought about doing so?
> >
> > I'm trying to gauge the interest in starting a SIG with the purpose of
> > making distribution changes to make running on these devices more
> > streamlined and have more work "out of the box".  This will involve both
> > the necessary work to just get the hardware working well with Fedora of
> > today as well as possibly a spin that is explicitly targeted at some of
> > the constraints of the hardware down the line[1].
> >
> > If enough people are interested, I'd like to find a time later this week
> > or next week to have an initial meeting to kind of figure out what
> > bounds we want to tackle things in for the first pass.  Hardware that I
> > think definitely falls into the scope would be: netbooks, UMPCs, MIDs,
> > maybe the XO?   I've started up a page on the wiki
> > (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JeremyKatz/Netbooks) that people can edit
> > and then we can go from there
>
> What is the status of this SIG? I presume there's enough interest, and
> that the hold up is more than likely the infrastructure issues. Is
> there a planned name for the SIG? I would suggest something quite
> general like "Fedora Mini SIG" rather than something that has netbook
> in the name.
>
> Peter

(Not answering your question, but more a general reply)

I'm not taking part in the SIG, but I am logging all the bugs I can find
in bugzilla with the prefix "msi wind u100". Quite a few things seem to
be working now that were initially broken or flakey:

* The intel video driver works now
* The ethernet card works now
* Suspend to ram kind of works not (but not more than once)
* Suspend to disk works pretty much

The only real brokenness left in Fedora (apparently not in Ubuntu, but I
haven't tested) is wireless networking - definitely not the thing you
want broken on these :)